Sunday 21 April 2019

Tengmalm's Owl, Shetland





On the 19th February, a Tengmalm's Owl was found in Shetland. I have to admit I was tempted. The photos alone were amazing and the fact I needed it for planet Earth and it was at my favourite set of Islands in the world, were all big draws for me. However, circumstances meant I bottled it and didn't go. Sadly, it disappeared on the night of the 2nd March, never to be seen again.... until...

I was browsing the web on Tuesday 9th April and came across Josh Jones' blog post about his Tengmalm's twitch. I hadn't looked at it previously because it was, I admit, too painful. Thoughts went through my head like 'I wish I had gone' and 'I would definitely go if it reappeared'. To my surprise the following day- it did!

What to do? Well it's clearly been in the same garden for over a month, so the risk of it leaving seemed low so I had not choice... flights and car hire were booked and it was with excitement and nerves I waited in Aberdeen airport on Saturday 13th. News broke just before I boarded, it was still there- I couldn't have been more delighted! Nor more exhausted having driven up to Aberdeen overnight on one and a half hours sleep.

Arriving in Shetland, the views were amazing in the incredible spring sunshine. I quickly arrived on site. The views of the bird were poor to say the least, but at least I had seen it! I decided to go and get food and accommodation which turned into a wee afternoon nap.

I arrived back on site late afternoon and the bird was still in the same tree, however it preened a bit more and at times you could see a bit more. It wasn't until after 8pm that the bird woke up properly but the light had gone for photography but the views were exceptional.

The next day the bird had moved to Unst, clearly migrating back north and east and the following day had gone entirely- my thoughts that the risk was low were wrong. I was lucky but I am exceedingly glad to have gone and seen yet another mega Owl on Shetland.

No comments:

Post a Comment