Monday 30 August 2021

White-tailed Lapwing in East Yorkshire






Back in June 2007 a White-tailed Lapwing turned up in Caerlaverock WWT in Dumfriesshire. It was only there a few days before moving to Lancashire for another seven days but I caught up with it in Scotland with a couple of mates. At the time it was the first since 1984 and only the fourth for Britain- a once in a generation mega so it seemed.

However, there have been a few records since then, most notably a wide ranging individual in 2010 and then earlier this year one appeared briefly in Kent. Presumably this bird has now found itself in East Yorkshire at Blacktoft Sands RSPB. Today Dad and I visited as my view from 2007 was hardly memorable, being a mile range, and Dad hadn't seen one before. 

Elusive to begin with, it put on a real show. Perhaps just out of proper range for my set up but nevertheless I can not complain after the views I had in 2007. Another great bird of 2021. 

No comments:

Post a Comment