Wednesday 27 July 2022

Late July, evening birding

 

A message during the late afternoon, on the local whatsapp group, surprised everyone with news of a drake Redstart at Eldernell. I headed down there after work, as I hadn't seen any of the few springs birds that had been around locally. As far as I can tell, there has never been a July Redstart in the area so a great record and lovely individual. Perhaps a 1st summer?


I call into my patch, Deeping Lakes LWT, on the way home for a quick check. A Little-ringed Plover first thing, was the first new wader (other than the usual Common and Green Sandpipers) in a while and with a stormy sky to the north, I thought it might be worth a look. Straight away found six, sleeping, Spoonbills. I watched them for an hour with fellow local birders, Mike Weedon and Martin Coates, before they departed north-east along the Welland, after a preen, in typical fashion. 

Spoonbill overload below.


No comments:

Post a Comment