Thursday, 23 July 2026

Long-eared Owl Portraits


Another look at an adult Long-eared Owl from back in May. I assume it's a male, as in my experience with these birds the male leaves its roost to go hunting first, leaving the female with the young. She will then start calling as it gets dark and go off to hunt herself. This season has been unique for me — both males of the two broods I was originally watching were leaving to hunt before sunset, and this individual was doing so several hours before sunset on occasion. I've never witnessed anything like it in all the years I've been watching owls here.

On this occasion I used a large willow tree to conceal my approach. Once within range I slowly manoeuvred into a clear view of the owl, which was completely relaxed and unfazed by my presence. As it was windy, the owl was hunting from a perch rather than on the wing. This was one of the best encounters I had with an adult owl all spring. What an absolute privilege.

No comments:

Post a Comment