Wednesday 15 February 2023

Day hunting LEO




I've been watching local Long-eared Owls for around twenty years now. They are still mythical to me. They breed and winter just a few miles from my house, and my encounters have been endless. Each one more special than the last, yet I have never been one of those to have seen a day hunting adult Long-eared Owl... until today! 

We watched this bird for over two hours. The bird had an afternoon nap in the open, which was pretty special. Then when the weather turned to overcast, it started to hunt and we watched it catch several prey. Views, at times, were point blank, but genuinely, the more distant views of the bird, hunting ditches, were the best. It was a true first and something very special. And, just a few miles from our house!

No comments:

Post a Comment